Karnishina Natalia Gennadievna, Doctor of historical sciences, professor, sub-department of history of Russia, state and law, Penza State University (40 Krasnaya street, Penza, Russia), firstname.lastname@example.org
Background. The article analyzes the position of clergy in the Russian Empire in the second half of the XIX century. The investigation of church reforms in Russia was conducted in the context of mutual relations between clergy, flock and social perception of reforms.
Materials and methods. The investigation of the problem was conducted on the basis of archive sources, periodicals and published memories of contemporaries. The author used the comparatively-historic method at analyzing a change of the clergy’s position in reforming Russia.
Results. The main author’s goal was to estimate the results of church reforms. The changes of the parish clergy’s position during structural reforms have been ge-neralized and systematized.
Conclusions. During the reforming period there appeared a branched chain of church periodicals. Clerics were allowed to preach without prior censorship. They were also allowed to print in secular press. One of the results of the church reforms was getting over the isolation of the clergy class. The liquidation of this isolation was required in order to overcome a gap between a pastor and flock, which not only didn’t reduce, but even expanded to the beginning of the XX century.
parish clergy, church reform, spiritual bureaucracy, parish, church print.
1. Rimskiy S. V. Otechestvennaya istoriya [Russian history]. 1995, no. 2, pp. 163–171.
2. Florovskiy G. V. Puti russkogo bogosloviya [Ways of Russian theology]. Parizh, 1937, 420 p.
3. Borisov A. V., Velitchenko N. S., Smirnova Yu. B. Gosudarstvo, tserkov', obshchestvo v Rossii v XVIII–XIX vv. [State, church, society in Russia in XVIII–XIX centuries]. Yaroslavl, 2002, 243 p.
4. Runkevich S. G. Russkaya tserkov' v XIX v. [Russian church in XIX century]. Saint-Petersburg, 1901,319p.
5. Russkoe pravoslavie: vekhi istorii [Russian orthodoxy: historical landmarks]. Moscow, 1989, 402 p.
6. Rossiyskiy gosudarstvennyy istoricheskiy arkhiv (RGIA) [Russian State Historical Archive (RGIA)]. F. 908. Op. 1. D. 104.
7. Gilyarov-Platonov N. P. Voprosy very i tserkvi [Issues of faith and church]. Saint-Peters¬burg, 1892, vol. III.
8. Tserkovnyy vestnik [Church bulletin]. 1881, no. 1.
9. Tserkovnyy vestnik [Church bulletin]. 1892, no. 30.
10. Rossiyskiy gosudarstvennyy arkhiv literatury i iskusstva (RGALI) [Russian State Archive of Literature and Art (RGALI)]. F. 459. Op. 1. D. 1359.
11. Karnishina N. G. Tsentr i region: istoricheskie modeli vzaimodeystviya [Center and province: historical models of interaction]. Penza: Izd-vo PGU, 2003, 244 p.